Thursday, September 22, 2011

The New Normal - Day +6

After my generally sunny morning post yesterday, Rose went to exercise class and afterwards got sick and pretty much stayed that way off and on till late in the evening.  She would be fine, then really sick, get medicated, be fine, be sick, get medicated.  Lesson learned.  This recovery is going to be long, it's going to come in fits and starts - good days and bad - and it's important to try to stay off the "how is she now" merry-go-round.  Not focusing further out will make me nuts - it's completely exhausting.  Keep your eyes on the prize.

I was at an event for my friend Jim Barham's film "For the Sake of the Song" at the University of Houston last night, while my sister Lou Ann hung with Rose.  When I got the word from my sister that she was struggling again, I headed back and spent the night with her.  Three observations about hospitals:  1) nice to have the nurse's station nearby, but whatever happened to quiet hospitals?  It sounded like a sorority party half the night - not that I haven't enjoyed sorority parties in ancient times.  2) The concept of resting in a hospital is an oxymoron.  And finally, 3) Rose is the bravest person I know.  She is, no doubt, a reluctant warrior, but she has stepped bravely into this challenge and continues to amaze.

So I got to share an evening with a friend, meet Lyle Lovett and a couple of old musician acquaintances.  But the highlight of my day was seeing my wife finally calmly resting when I left the hospital at 6am.

Necessito descanso.
Charlie

7 comments:

  1. whew...all eyes on the prize and siestas are good for all~ love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope keeping us all up to date is helping and not making you more stressed. You know we are all pulling for her...and for you, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog is actually good therapy. Just a whiny note after a very long night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's me above - charlie - logged in as Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be able to hear about the journey, and please know that I am thinking of you as you move forward each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, it is not a straight path that you are following.
    As many of us have seen in one way or another, Rose really does have some amazing strength, so we know she has in it in her to make this journey.
    Always thinking of you both....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys - many of us have walked that up and down road with other friends. 'Tis not a pretty road at all, but the destination is so worth the effort. I love the blog and reading snippets of what is happing in Houston.

    You are both amazing in this struggle and your willingness to be there for each other. Charlie, you definitely get a gold star in my book of records! I always knew you were a good guy, but I'm not sure I ever realized the extent of your nurturing abilities. Thank God you are there to advocate for Rose when she needs it.
    Hugs to you both. Love, Nadine

    ReplyDelete