Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Morning

Another good night's sleep for Rose: aggressive anti-nausea routine, good, semi-bland food and plenty of sleep seems to be working well.

We've had another changing of the guard here - Debbie McGowan has replaced Ellie Rozinsky, who did a great job last week organizing Rose's med routine, being a great help around the apartment and helping to ease Rose back into the real world.  Thanks, Ellie.  Debbie dove right in last night and the Florence Nightingale Squad continues to do a great job.

Rose's treatment will begin to evolve into more "home" based treatment this week - she will be set up to do home infusions sometime in the next few days.  This will drastically reduce her hospital time to 3 days a week or so rather than daily.  This is the weaning process that eventually gets her home. We are somewhere near half way through this treatment.  Recap: we've been here since September 5th; she had a week of tests, a week of chemo, her transplant, recuperation, left the hospital, came back, now home again and slowly leaving the hospital part of her life behind.

Not to mention being re-diagnosed in March, having a rod put in her femur, chemo, 3 trips to Houston before we even began the transplant process.  And through it all, friends, family, work, neighbors all coalesced around this little drama to help us through it.  Thanks to you all.  There's work yet to do, but, in Ellie's words, we're headed to third base with home clearly in sight.  The estimate is 100 days from your transplant, all things being equal, you can go home.  100 days for Rose is Christmas time.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

4 comments:

  1. Quick note: the patient's in rebellion - she got to sleep last night without the anti-nausea med compazine and slept through the night. Good news indeed - we're down from 5 anti-nausea drugs, to 2 and one for back up. For my friends who have had chemo - you'll recognize this as REAL progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are progressing in the positive direction. Always thinking of you both and can't believe what an ordeal this has been for you both. I might have missed it but what is the address to the apartment for continued correspondence?
    Love ya, Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learningtoflow@AOL.comOctober 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM

    Hi Rose and Charlie --- Just catching up with the latest correspondence and I'm happy with the progress and the positive thoughts I'm hearing in your reports. This means so much to me as I've been sending healing energy daily (I send Distance Reiki). Since I can't be there to give you hands on healing, I send it with all love to you with the "Distance" method. Praying for you both and all your support people. I love you so dearly *^*Sharron' *^* *^*MICK*^*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that Rose seams to be getting better every day. I'll bet she will get used to the home treatments right quick! Talk to you soon.

    Love you both.

    Tami

    ReplyDelete