Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rose has surgery

I was hoping to never have to restart this blog, but here we go.  Today is Saturday.  On Tuesday, Rose began complaining of a sinus problem.  The pressure and pain continued to get worse and we got her an appointment with her ENT doc.  He examined her, took a specimen for pathology and said "I'm giving you this specimen to take with you when you check in to the hospital.  We'll be doing surgery this evening."  He went on to describe the very dangerous nature of her infection.

And with that, off we went, packed a few things, checked into the hospital and in to surgery - all in the space of six hours.  Turns out that she was badly infected with a fungus that you or I experience everyday, but our immune systems routinely handle.  Rose has no immune system - so of course, it rampages through her sinuses wasting healthy tissue as it goes.  The surgery attempts to remove the damage and root out the disease.  Her doctor believes they caught it early, but she made need follow on surgery and, of course, a heavy course of anti-fungal IV drugs.

It is early Saturday - I've just gotten in from the hospital, after a brief coffee refuel with my sister and Doug.  I'll be returning to the hospital after a little sleep.  She is at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Palm Beach  Room 493 and she'll be there at least a week.  I will maintain the blog to keep everyone in the loop.  It is her great blessing to have so many friends and who love her - this gives me the opportunity to thank you all and once and keep you informed.  Many thanks for all the calls, notes and emails.  I will post as appropriate. 

Charlie

2 comments:

  1. So, Miss Rose, you were texting me from your hospital room...you are a sly one ;) I admire how you are making the best of your birthday venue!!!
    Sending you hugs for a speedy recovery, dear one. Love~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie and Rose.. We're thinking of you..wishing we could be helpful in ANY way..hoping you'll send a message and let us know, when we can.. Meantime, praying for you both and waiting anxiously to hear that Rose has, once again, kicked the butt of what tried to get her.. You guys sure know how to do birthdays.. :-/

    ReplyDelete